The other day I made a makeup-less run to one of the health food stores I frequent in Fairfax, and the man at the checkout who usually greets me started raving about my skin. I explained to him that it was my raw diet and large amounts of coconut water, and he asked if it couldn’t be genetics? I replied that yes, I do actually have great genes, thanks to my parents, but that not too long ago before I changed my diet, acne was a HUGE issue for me.
He was shocked, but I wasn’t kidding. And to make matters worse, the clarity of my skin happens to be um, kind of important as an actress, and at the time I was also doing some modeling. So it was driving me insane to say the least. After trying the traditional things people tell you try, which is mostly addressing the issue with topical creams, solutions, face washes etc. I threw them all in the trash. Right then and there I decided that I was going to have to start over and makeover my insides in order to have truly radiant skin that would stay that way. So for this Natural Cures segment, I am going to give you some tidbits to assist in curing acne the natural way, although I could seriously write a dissertation on the subject.
1. NO Processed Foods, no meat except perhaps cold water fish, and no dairy. That means no junk, no chips, no cola, no cookies, no refined sugar, no hydrogenated or saturated fats, and in a lot of cases cutting out carbs will help as well because they raise blood sugar levels and can add fuel to already wonky hormones, which in turn cause more acne. If you have acne, it is a DIS-EASE, and is pointing to the fact that you most likely have a toxic body, and need to detox and consume alkaline foods. Period. There’s no getting around it, sorry. I’m telling your this now to save you the 39.95 you would have spent on the latest infomercial miracle solution destined to take your acne away. The great news is that once you get your body to a more alkaline state, raw and vegan desserts are better than great, and lots of yummy creations can be created that are not processed and refined sugar-free to fill the void. But at the beginning, sugar has to be cut down, and refined sugar should be eliminated completely from your diet.
2. Take a Chill Pill. Meditate, do yoga, take a walk, or just plain BREATHE deep. They say that stress can also play a factor in acne, mostly because when our emotional state is out of whack it can throw our hormones even more out of balance, and actually, we can create dis-ease. This explains how sometimes people even on very healthy diets can develop cancer and other terminal diseases. A woman on a very healthy vegan diet who had cancer once explained to me that she knew for a fact that the source of her cancer was repressing the negative emotions she had from years in an abusive marriage. When her husband passed away, she immediately developed cancer. Negative emotions are toxins too, so its important to find whatever works for you and tap into that inner zen.
3. Clean Your Colon. This is HUGE when it comes to staying acne-free. Once I understood this principle, I never had an issue with acne again. Most of the time, acne happens when our colons are clogged up and we are constipated, meaning our bowel movements have not caught up with the amount of food we are eating. When this happens and waste piles up, the body responds by trying to push toxins out through the skin in the form of pimples. Once I started to get this, if I saw a breakout, I would do some form of a colon cleanse, whether it be colonic or enema, and literally the next day the pimples had vanished! Why waste your time piling chemicals on your face, when a little t.l.c. for your colon goes a long way?
4. Get Rid of Those Parasites! I really wish someone broke down the parasite issue for me a long time ago, but I guess everything happens in right time. This point, is what really changed everything for me, because I realized that the root cause of my acne, sugar and carb cravings was parasites! They were inside of me dictating cravings, and causing almost rash like outbreaks of acne on my face. This ties hand in hand with avoiding junk foods, because those are the foods parasites love to grow and thrive in. If you eat alkaline and get real friendly with some herbs like black walnut hull and wormwood and those suckers will die. Warning: Taking on a battle with parasites is not for wimps, so you better tap into your inner gangster and get to cleansing. (Check out previous posts for more on parasites.)
5. Find Nutritional Balance. Very frequently, people with acne are out of balance in some way. Just like any other dis-ease, the condition can stem from too much of something, in this case perhaps refined sugar, carbs, etc. or too little of other things: zinc, sulfur, omega-3 etc. So, it is very important that you begin to eat a wide range of foods that are fresh and nutrient dense that give your body what you need, and also to supplement with super greens like chlorella and spirulina to rectify any longstanding nutritional deficiencies and boost your immune system.
6. Stop Putting Chemicals on Your Face! I know when you are dealing with the annoying fact that your face is covered with pimples, it’s only natural to jump for anything that could be a quick fix. Unfortunately the majority of the quick fixes don’t really work, and/or if they do, it doesn’t rid you of the root cause. If you are like I was, fed up and ready for change, it is time for you to focus on your insides and discover what exactly about your diet, colon health etc. is causing your acne. The long-term solution is definitely not putting on a bunch of chemical acne washes and creams, which usually include parabens which can later cause cancer. As hard as it may be, it is better to take a good look at what you are using on your skin and make sure you understand what all the ingredients are in your products. Really what we put on our skin should be virtually edible and natural so as not to aggravate or add more toxicity to our system. The only product that I use regularly that can zap skin issues in a hurry is BENTONITE CLAY. Talk about having skin like a baby’s bottom…when you use this miracle clay as a mask, you can literally feel it sucking out toxins from your skin.
I hope you are fired up and ready to stay acne-free or that you will pass this on to someone you know who may need some advice. Very soon I will also post a link to an article that addresses the issue even more in-depth. The principles behind the tips above are incredibly simple but of course, it will take some real stamina and strong desire to truly become and stay Acne-Free. Warning: sometimes the issue initially gets worse, because as you eat more alkaline, more toxins will be trying to push out of your system. This is where colon cleansing comes in and makes a huge difference. If you can stick it out when the going gets rough, I promise you, you won’t be sorry. Most likely, at the end of your journey you will find yourself with an all-natural glow you never thought you’d have, and people will be clamoring to know your secret.
- XoXo Raw Girl